You'll never look at a banana the same way again after discovering the many health benefits and reasons to add them to your diet. Bananas combat depression, make you smarter, cure hangovers, relieve morning sickness, protect against kidney cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and blindness. They can cure the itch of a mosquito bite and put a great shine on your shoes.
If you think bananas are just for monkeys, think again.
1. Bananas help overcome depression due high levels of tryptophan, which is converted
into serotonin -- the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps by eating
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing
with a banana
5. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates
blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation
6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the
nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels
of vitamin B-6
7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas
8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as
being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart attack and stroke
Eating bananas aids digestion
9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals
from the body
10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel.
They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost
electrolytes after diarrhea.
13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD
14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve
stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids
Natural cures from a simple banana
15. Eating bananas helps prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular
degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption
16. Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a
banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
17. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection from
18. Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea
from morning sickness
19. Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation
20. Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana
21. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or
on a hot day
22. The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal Affective
23. Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium
and magnesium speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal
24. Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against the wart
and taping it in place
25. Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and polish
with a dry cloth for a quick shine
Oh, and remember -- bananas make great snacks and delicious smoothies.
Now you know why monkeys are so happy. Eat a banana!